Wednesday, September 30, 2009

When Parks and Dogs Collide


I'm a frequent park outing kind of mom. My daughter and I probably go to the park 3-4 times a week. In fact, we went to two different parks today alone.
I have heard other friends lament, "Why do people bring their dogs to the park if the dog doesn't like kids?"
I actually do this. To be fair, I do this because if I don't bring our crazy OCD dog (pictured) on the short walk to the local park, this dog would never get walked. Tragic, I know.
But in my defense, the only time that I bring our dog is when we're just going to the park right down the street, and another adult (most likely my partner) is with us. I find it hard to run after a toddler and keep track of an unruly (albeit leashed) dog.
And yet today, I was so irritated by the etiquette of a fellow park goer. A fellow mommy with a youngun of around a year. She had a West Highland Terrier, commonly known as a "westie." Now, I should say that although I myself prefer "mixed breeds" (that's the p.c. term for "mutt," dontcha know?), I'm not intolerant of pretty little purebreds. Yet, she let this dog run all over without a leash, and when he wouldn't leave me alone (sniffing my leg, probably smelling my dog, doi!), she made no effort to call him back, just simply said, "He's really friendly."
Really friendly? I mean, in her world, he might be really friendly with her darling child, but I'd prefer not to find out if this dog is going to have a come-to-Jesus with his animalistic canine roots in the presence of my two-year-old.
Know what I mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment